LifeWings Offers a History of Expertise and Proven Patient Safety Programs
LifeWings has a proven history of providing services that make a measurable difference in the quality of health care delivery. Through the use of industry experts, smart technology, and sound methodologies, we can offer your organization unparalleled service and results.
- LifeWings Partners LLC is a team of physicians, nurses, former NASA astronauts, former military flight surgeons, pilots, flight crew, former military officers, and healthcare risk managers. The team has melded together the best practices of high reliability organizations such as commercial aviation, U.S. Navy aircraft carriers, nuclear submarines, and nuclear power and thoughtfully adapted those practices for use in healthcare organizations.
- LifeWings began helping hospitals improve patient safety in 1999 as a department of Crew Training International, Inc. (CTI). The world’s largest provider of teamwork and communication training services, CTI, established in 1992, is the primary provider of teamwork-based safety programs to the U.S. Air Force, NATO, numerous international air forces and other U.S. government organizations such as the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
- The CEO of LifeWings, Capt. Stephen W. Harden is also the co-founder of CTI and has 19 years of experience in providing human factors training, and safety practices development and implementation for a variety of military flight squadrons, commercial air carriers, heavy construction companies, and government agencies.
- Due to explosive growth in CTI’s healthcare work, LifeWings Partners was created as a separate corporate entity in 2005 to specialize solely in implementing in healthcare the safety practices of high reliability organizations. The management team of LifeWings has over 30 years of experience in designing, developing, leading and implementing culture changing safety programs for hospitals, hospital systems, practice groups, clinics, state healthcare associations, clinical colleges and societies, and malpractice carriers. To date, LifeWings has implemented safety and quality improvement programs for 100 health care clients.
LifeWings has worked with individual hospitals and multiple hospital systems for system-wide implementations. We have extensive experience with academic medical centers (including the entire University of California system), community based facilities, not-for-profits, physician owned hospitals, and faith-based systems. We have conducted projects with Perioperative departments (including the OR, PACU, Pre-Op Holding, Day Surgery, and Pre-Admission Testing), EDs, Labor/Delivery units, ICUs (including NICU, SICU, PCCU, etc.), Trauma, Cath Labs, and Interventional Radiology, to name just a few. See our complete client list.
What the Press Has Said About Our Programs
Our results have been reported in over 35 publications and media outlets including the Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Patient Safety and Quality Healthcare, and the OR Connection.
With LifeWings You Get the “Best of the Best”
LifeWings uses a team of coaches and facilitators drawn from a variety of disciplines including aviators, physicians and nurses. Our physician coaches are experienced aviators and former astronauts.Thus, they have lived and worked with the aviation-based safety practices and are expert in thoughtfully adapting those principles to the bedside for safer patient care. Combined, our coaches’ experience represents over 300 years of implementing evidence-based safety systems such as TeamSTEPPS and Lean in institutions such as Vanderbilt University Medical Center, The Nebraska Medical Center, Rush University Medical Center, Vassar Brothers Medical Center, Mt. Carmel Healthcare, and Memorial Healthcare System. LifeWings has virtually zero turnover among our staff and has attracted a roster of dedicated, passionate human factors experts committed to the mission of improving patient safety.
Our Business Ethics
LifeWings has enjoyed steady growth sustained almost solely by word of mouth referrals from satisfied clients. We choose our clients carefully, never sacrificing quality for rapid growth. Our business ethics include
- Do exactly what we promise to do
- Treat each client like it is the most important client we have
- Produce measurable, sustainable results
- Partner your executive team with our expert, knowledgeable project leadership; and
- Provide committed enthusiastic, qualified, and experienced professional coaches and facilitators.