Drew Gaffney, MD, Partner
1972-73 Straight Medical Internship.Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio.
1973-75 Medical Residency. Cleveland Metropolitan General Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio.
1975-77 Fellowship in Cardiology. University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas.
1977-79 Faculty Associate, Research.University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas.
1978-79 Visiting Scientist. August Krogh Institute, U. of Copenhagen, Denmark.
1979-84 Assistant Professor of Medicine and Assistant Professor of Allied Health Sciences University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas.Director of Echocardiography, Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, Texas.
1984-91 Payload Specialist Astronaut on Spacelab Life Sciences 1(Space Shuttle Columbia, June 5-14, 1991).
1987-89 Visiting Senior Scientist, Life Sciences Division International programs, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.
1984-92 Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center, Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas.(Promoted – Full Professor with Tenure, 28 Feb 92).
1992- Professor of Medicine; Attending Physician, Vanderbilt Medical Center and Nashville Veteran’s Administration Hospital, Nashville, TN. (1992-2001)
1992-1998 Chief, Clinical Cardiology; Associate Director, Division of Cardiology. Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee.
1997-1998 Interim Director, Division of Cardiology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee.
1998-2002 Senior Vice Chair for Clinical Services, Department of Medicine, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee.
2001-2003 Guest Researcher and Adjunct (Foreign) Professor, Medical Management Center, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm Sweden
2002-2009 Professor of Medical Education and Administration. Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee. (Quality and Patient Safety)
2002-2007 Chief Quality and Patient Safety Office, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
2008- Guest Professor, Medical Management Center, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
American Association of Medical Colleges Public Health, Fellowship Award, Croatian Public Health Service, Zagreb Croatia 1970
Joseph Goldberger Student Research Award, 1972
National Institutes of Health, Individual Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, 1977
Young Investigator Award, NHLBI, 1980-83
Award for Outstanding Teaching and Clinical Service, Division of Cardiology, University of
Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 1981
American Heart Association-International Scientist Award, 2-D Echocardiography Courses, People’s Republic of China, 1983
Distinguished Alumnus, University of New Mexico School of Medicine, 1989
NASA Space Flight Medal, 1991
Aviation Week and Space Technology, Aerospace Laurels Award, 1991
NASA Group Achievement Award, Spacelab Life Sciences-1 E-294 Experiment Team, 1991
Kilby Award for Technology Achievement, 1992
NASA Group Achievement Award, Spacelab Life Sciences-2 JSC Payload Project Team, 1994
Inductee, International Space Hall of Fame – Alamogordo, NM, 1996
Excellence in Education Award, Peabody College, Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN. 1999
Listings in: Best Doctor’s in America, (Southeast and US editions) and Who’s Who in Science and Technology
National Board of Medical Examiners, 1973
American Board of Internal Medicine, 1975
Cardiovascular Diseases, 1977 (non-expiring)
Commercial Pilot, Glider and SEL/MEL, Instrument
American College of Cardiology (Fellow-1981)
American Heart Association, Council on Circulation
Association of Space Explorers
Texas Area 5 Health Systems Agency, Certificate of Need Review Committee, 1980-83.
Institutional Review Board, UTHSCD, 1982-84.
NIH-NHLBI Ad Hoc Study Sections, 1982 and 1983.
AFCR – Institutional Representative, 1983-84.
Member, 16th Bethesda Conference: Cardiovascular Abnormalities in the Athlete:
Recommendations Regarding Eligibility for Competition, American College of Cardiology/National Institutes of Health, 1984.
Member, MKSAP VII Cardiovascular Diseases Subcommittee, American College of Physicians, 1984-86.
Sally Ride Committee on NASA Leadership, Mission to Mars Subcommittee, 1987.
European Space Agency-NASA Joint Working Group for Life Sciences, 1987-89.
US-USSR Joint Working Group in Life Sciences. Implementation Team, 1987-89.
NASA Space Station Science and Applications Subcommittee – Consultant, 1991.
NASA Cardiopulmonary Discipline Working Group, 1989-1992.
Committee on Space Biology and Medicine – National Research Council, 1991-98,
Tennessee Medicare Advisory Committee, 1992-2000.
Committee on Exercise and Cardiac Rehabilitation of the American Heart Association, 1993-1996
Consultant, Committee on Clinical Toxicology, National Research Council, 1992
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Medical Board, 1993-1999.
Vanderbilt Health Plans Medical Advisory Board, 1994-1997
Vanderbilt Medical Group, Board of Directors, 1995-2002
Consultant, Future of Space Science Technology Task Group, National Research Council, 1995
NIH/NASA Grant Review Panel for Life Sciences, 1995
ACLS Instructor, Vanderbilt University, 1995-2005
Physician Integration Team, Vanderbilt University Hospital/St. Thomas Hospital Merger Negotiations, 1996
Westinghouse-Waste Isolation Pilot Project, Carlsbad, NM, Consultant, 1996
Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Medical Records/Information Committee, Chairman, 1996-2003
American Heart Association, Gala Patrons Committee, 1996-1998
Telemedicine Strategic Planning Group, Vanderbilt University, 1996-1997
University Space Research Associate, Center for Advanced Space Studies, Consultant, Houston, TX, 11/21/96
Vanderbilt University Task Force on Credentialing Conflicts Resolution, 1997
Vanderbilt University Search Committee-Vice Chancellor for Health Sciences, 1997
Technology Area Reviews and Assessments (TARA) Panel, Biomedical Research, Office of Secretary of Defense, 1997-1999, 2001
Co-Chair, School of Medicine Task Force on Faculty Compensation & Incentives, 1998
Consultant to Undersecretary of Veteran’s Health Affairs; VA Advisory Panel on Patient Safety & Event Reporting, 1998
Medical Director, Vanderbilt Page-Campbell Heart Institute, 1998-1999; Board of Directors 1998-2002
Biomedical Review Panel, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, Austin, TX, 1999.
Overall program reviewer, 2000
Vanderbilt University Medical Center Self Insurance Trust Committee, 1999-
Vanderbilt Department of Internal Medicine, Resource Utilization Committee, 2000-2002
Consultant, National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine-Committee on Astronaut Health, 2003
Chancellor’s “Paperless Medical Center”, Steering Committee, 2000-2001
Steering Committee, Curriculum Redesign Task Force; 2003-2004
VA National Patient Safety Center, Chair-Grant Review Panel, 2003
Chair, Executive Safety Council, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 2003-2007
Quality Council, Vanderbilt University Medical Center 2003-
Chair, Medical Advisory Board, Vanderbilt Home Health Services, 2003-2007
UHC Clinical Evaluative Sciences Council, Steering Committee, 2004-
UHC Quality and Accountability Study Steering Committee 2006-
American Journal of Cardiology
American Journal of Physiology
Annals of Internal Medicine
Archives of General Psychiatry
Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine
Handbook of Physiology
Journal of Applied Physiology
Journal of the American Medical Association
Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise
New England Journal of Medicine
Encyclopedia of Space Science and Technology 1999-2003
US06,254,548:INTERNAL THERMOMETER, Ball Semiconductor, Inv.; Inventors: AkiraIshikawa, Nabuo Takeda, Ph.D. Suzanne I. Ahn, M.D., Samuel S. Ahn, M.D., Steven R. Hays, M.D., F. Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
US06,261,247: POSITION SENSING SYSTEM, Ball Semiconductor, Inc.; Inventors:, MD.,Akira Ishikawa, Nabu Takeda, Ph.D, Suzanne Ahn, M.D., Samuel S. Ahn, M.D., Steven R. Hays,M.D., F. Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
US06,264,611: Monitor for interventional procEdures; Inventors:, Akira Ishikawa Nabuo Takeda, Suzanne Ahn, Samuel Ahn, Steven Hays, M.D., F Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
US06,295,466: WIRELESS ECG; Inventors:, Akira Ishikawa Nabuo Takeda, Suzanne Ahn, Samuel Ahn, Steven Hays, M.D., F Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
US06,398,710: RADIATION DOSIMETRY SYSTEM; Inventors:, Akira Ishikawa Nabuo Takeda, Suzanne Ahn, Samuel Ahn, Steven Hays, M.D., F Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
US06,415,184: Implantable neuro-stimulator with ball implant; Inventors:, Akira Ishikawa Nabuo Takeda, Suzanne Ahn, Samuel Ahn, Steven Hays, M.D., F Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
US06,423,056:Injectable thermal balls for tumor ablation; Inventors:, Akira Ishikawa Nabuo Takeda, Suzanne Ahn, Samuel Ahn, Steven Hays, M.D., F Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
US06,447,448: Miniture implanted orthopedic sensor; Inventors:, Akira Ishikawa Nabuo Takeda, Suzanne Ahn, Samuel Ahn, Steven Hays, M.D., F Andrew Gaffney, M.D.
Peer Reviewed Publications
1. Gaffney FA, Wohl AJ, Blomqvist CG, Parkey RW, Willerson JT: Thallium-201 myocardial perfusion studies in patients with the mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Am J Med 64:21-26, 1978.
2. Blomqvist CG, Gaffney FA, Atkins JM, Nixon JV, Mullins CB, Willerson JT: The exercise ECG and related physiological data as markers of critical coronary artery lesions. Acta Med Scand Suppl 615:51-61, 1978.
3. Haller RG, Mukherje H, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: A mitochondrial myopathy presenting as exercise intolerance. Trans Am Neurol Assoc 103:6-10, 1978.
4. Gaffney FA, Karlsson ES, Campbell W, Schutte JE, Nixon JV, Willerson JT, Blomqvist CG: Autonomic dysfunction in women with mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Circulation 59:894-901, 1979.
5. Mulvihill-Wilson J, Graham RM, Anderson S, Muckelroy C, Pettinger WA, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Comparative effects of prazosin and phenoxybenzamine on arterial blood pressure, heart rate and plasma catecholamines in essential hypertension. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Suppl 1:6 S1-S7, 1979.
6. Raven PB, Saito M, Gaffney FA, Schutte J, Blomqvist CG: Interactions between surface cooling and LBNP induced central hypovolemia. Aviat Space Environ Med 51(5):497-503, 1980.
7. Morrison EB, Gaffney FA, Eigenbrodt EH, Reynolds RC, Buja LM: Severe pulmonary hypertension associated with macronodular (postnecrotic) cirrhosis and autoimmune phenomena. Am J Med 69:513-519, 1980.
8. Gaffney FA, Grimby G, Danneskiold-Samsoe B, Halskov O: Adaptation to peripheral muscle training. Scand J Rehabil Med 13:11-16, 1981.
9. Gaffney FA, Thal ER, Taylor WF, Bastian BC, Weigelt JA, Atkins JM, Blomqvist CG: Hemodynamic effects of the medical anti-shock trousers (MAST garment). Journal of Trauma 21:931-937, 1981.
10. Saltin B, Sjogaard G, Gaffney FA, Rowell LB: Potassium, lactate and water fluxes in human quadriceps muscle during static contractions. Circ Res 48 (Suppl I):18-24, 1981.
11. Schutte JE, Gaffney FA, Blend L, Blomqvist CG: Distinctive anthropometric characteristics of women with mitral valve prolapse. Am J Med 51:533-538, 1981.
12. Schutte JE, Longhurst JC, Gaffney FA, Bastian BC, Blomqvist CG: Total plasma creatinine – an accurate measure of total striated muscle mass. J Appl Physiol 51(3):762-766, 1981.
13. Raven PB, Pape G, Taylor WF, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Hemodynamic changes during whole body surface cooling and lower body negative pressure. Aviat Space Environ Med 52(7):387-391, 1981.
14. Gaffney FA, Bastian BC, Thal ER, Atkins JM, Blomqvist CG: Passive leg raising does not produce a significant or sustained autotransfusion effect. Journal of Trauma 22(3):190-193, 1982.
15. Anderson AL, Gaffney FA, Davidson TS, Estrera A: Acute bronchogenic cyst formation: Diagnosis by two-dimensional echocardiography. J Clin Ultrasound 10:444-447, 1982.
16. Gaffney FA, Lane LB, Pettinger W, Blomqvist CG: Effects of clonidine administration on the hemodynamic and neuroendocrine postural responses in patients with dysautonomia. Chest (Supplement) 83S:436S-438S, 1983.
17. Mulvihill-Wilson J, Gaffney FA, Pettinger WA, Blomqvist CG, Anderson S, Graham RM: Hemodynamic and neuroendocrine responses to acute and chronic alpha-adrenergic blockade with prazosin and phenoxybenzamine. Circulation 67:383-393, 1983.
18. Gaffney FA, Anderson RJ, Nixon JV, Blomqvist CG: Cardiovascular function in patients with progressive systemic sclerosis (Scleroderma). Clinical Cardiology 5:569-576, 1983.
19. May DC, Morris SW, Stewart RM, Fenton BJ, Gaffney FA: Neuroleptic malignant syndrome: Response to dantrolene sodium. Annals of Int Med 98:183-184, 1983.
20. Huxley RL, Gaffney FA, Corbett JR, Firth BG, Peshock R, Nicod P, Curry G, Lewis SE, Willerson JT: Early detection of left ventricular dysfunction in chronic aortic regurgitation as assessed by contrast angiography, echocardiography and rest and exercise scintigraphy. Am J Cardiol 51:1542-1550, 1983.
21. Gaffney FA, Nicod P, Lin JC, Rude RE: Non-invasive recognition of the parchment right ventricle (Uhl’s anomaly – arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia) syndrome. Clinical Cardiology 6:235-242, 1983.
22. Gaffney FA, Bastian BC, Lane LB, Taylor WF, Horton J, Schutte JE, Graham RM, Pettinger W, Blomqvist CG: Abnormal cardiovascular regulation in patients with mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Am J Cardiol 52:316-320, 1983.
23. Gaffney FA, Lin JC, Peshock RM, Bush L, Buja LM: Hydrogen peroxide contrast echocardiography. Am J Cardiol 52:607-609, 1983.
24. Blomqvist CG, Gaffney FA, Nixon JV: Cardiovascular responses to head-down tilt in young and middle-aged men. The Physiologist 26(6):S-81-82, 1983.
25. Nicod P, Firth BG, Peshock RM, Gaffney FA, Hillis LD: Rupture of dissecting aortic aneurysm into the right atrium: Clinical and echocardiographic recognition. Am Heart J 107:1276-1278, 1984.
26. Winslow EH, Lane LD, Gaffney FA: Oxygen consumption and cardiovascular response in patients and normal adults during in-bed and out-of-bed toileting. J Cardiac Rehab 4(8):348-354, 1984
27. Gaffney FA, Keller AM, Lin JC, Peshock RM, Firth BG: Pathophysiologic mechanisms of cardiac tamponade and pulsus alternans shown by echocardiography. Am J Cardiol 53:1662-1666, 1984.
28. Frase LL, Gaffney FA, Lane LL, Blomqvist CG, Krejs GJ. Effect of vasoactive intestinal polypeptide infusion on cardiovascular function in man. Frontiers of Hormone Research, 12:127-8, 1984
29. Buckey JC, Beattie JM, Gaffney FA, Nixon JV, Blomqvist CG: Simplified right ventricular volume algorithm using one digitized view and transducer tilt angle. Computers in Cardiology, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 399-402, 1984.
30. Wilson SL, Gaffney FA, Laird WP, Fixler DE: Body size, composition, and fitness in adolescents with elevated blood pressures. Hypertension 7:417-422, 1985.
31. Mulvihill-Wilson J, Gaffney FA, Neal WW, Graham RM, Pettinger WA, Blomqvist
CG: Single and combined therapy for systemic hypertension with propranolol, hydralazine and hydrochlorothiazide: Hemodynamic and neuroendocrine mechanisms of action. Am J Cardiol 56:315-327, 1985.
32. Gaffney FA, Nixon JV, Karlsson ES, Campbell W, Dowdy ABC, Blomqvist CG: Cardiovascular deconditioning produced by 20-hour bedrest with head-down tilt (-5o) in middle-aged men. Am J Cardiol 56:634-638, 1985.
33. Winslow EH, Lane LD, Gaffney FA: Oxygen consumption and cardiovascular
responses in normal adults and acute myocardial infarction patients during basin bath, tub bath, and shower. Nursing Res 34:164-169, 1985.
34. Maron BJ, Gaffney FA, Jeresaty RM, McKenna WJ, Miller WW: Task Force III: Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, other myopericardial diseases and mitral valve prolapse. JACC 6:1215-1217, 1985.
35. Buckey JC, Sweeney FM, Kim LT, Beattie JM, Nixon JV, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Stroke volume in-vivo using multiple 2D echo views from one echo window. Computers in Cardiology, IEEE Computer Society, pp. 293-296, 1985.
36. Moritani T, Muro M, Kijima A, Gaffney FA, Parsons D. Electromechanical changes during electrically induced and maximal voluntary contractions: surface and intramuscular EMG responses during sustained maximal voluntary contraction. Experimental Neurology, 88:484-99, 1985.
37. Gatchel RJ, Gaffney FA, Smith JE: Comparative efficacy of behavioral stress management versus propranolol in reducing psychophysiological reactivity in post-myocardial infarction patients. Journal of Behavioral Medicine 9:503-513, 1986.
38. Buckey JC, Beattie JM, Nixon JV, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Right and left ventricular volumes in-vitro by a new non-geometric method. Am J Cardiac Imaging 1:227-233, 1987.
39. Parra B, Buckey J, DeGraff D, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Echocardiographic measurements of left ventricular mass by a non-geometric method. Aviat Space Environ Med 58:A64-68, 1987.
40. Gaffney FA. Spacelab Life Sciences flight experiments: an integrated approach to the study of cardiovascular deconditioning and orthostatic hypotension. Acta Astronautica. 1987; 15:291-4
.41. Frase LL, Gaffney FA, Lane LL, Buckey JC, Said SI, Blomqvist CG, Krejs GJ: Cardiovascular effects of vasoactive intestinal peptide (VIP) in healthy subjects. Am J Cardiol 60:1356-1361, 1987.
42. Gaffney FA, Fenton BJ, Lane LD, Lake CR. Hemodynamic, ventilatory, and biochemical responses of panic patients and normal controls with sodium lactate infusion and spontaneous panic attacks. Archives of General Psychiatry 45:53-60, 1988.
43. Gaffney FA, Sjogaard G, Saltin B: Cardiovascular and metabolic responses to static contraction in man. Acta Physiol Scand 138:249-258, 1990.
44. Feit A, Cohen M, Dimino L, El-Sherif N, Holtzman R, Ram CVS, Gaffney D, Heller JA, Kaplan N: The effects of labetalol and prazosin on exercise haemodynamics in hypertensive patients. Journal of Human Hypertension 5:39-43, 1991.
45. Baisch F, Beck L, Karemaker JM, Arbeille Ph, Gaffney, FA, Blomqvist CG: Head-down tilt bedrest. HDT’88 – an international collaborative effort in integrated systems physiology. Acta Physiol Scand 144, S604:1-12, 1992.
46. Beck L, Baisch F, Gaffney FA, Buckey JC, Arbeille Ph, Patat F, ten Harkel ADJ, Hillebrecht A, Schulz H, Karemaker JM, Meyer M, Blomqvist CG: Cardiovascular response to lower body negative pressure before, during, and after ten days head-down tilt bedrest. Acta Physiol Scand 144, S604:43-52, 1992.
47. Buckey JC, Lane LD, Plath G, Gaffney FA, Baisch F, Blomqvist CG: Effects of head-down tilt for 10 days on the compliance of the leg. Acta Physiol Scand 144, S604:53-59, 1992.
48. Gaffney FA, Buckey JC, Lane LD, Hillebrecht A, Schulz H, Meyer M, Baisch F, Beck L, Heer M, Maass H, Arbeille Ph, Patat F, Blomqvist CG: The effects of a 10-day period of head-down tilt on the cardiovascular responses to intravenous saline loading. Acta Physiol Scand 144, S604:121-130, 1992.
49. Buckey JC, Gaffney FA, Lane LD, Levine BD, Watenpaugh DE, Wright SJ, Yancy CW, Blomqvist CG. Central venous pressure in space. N Engl J Med 328(25):1853-1854, 1993.
50. Schmitz RA, Gaffney FA, Scandling DM, McKenzie JE. Effects of orthostatic and anti orthostatic stress on patent and stenotic coronary arteries in swine. Av Space Environ Med 64:839-844, 1993.
51. Latham RD, Fanton JW, Vernalis MN, Gaffney FA, Crisman RP: Central hemodynamics in a baboon model during microgravity induced by parabolic flight. Adv Space Res 14:349-358, 1994.
52. Blomqvist CG, Buckey JC, Gaffney FA, Lane LD, Levine BD, Watenpaugh DE. Mechanisms of post-flight orthostatic intolerance. Journal of Gravitational Physiology, 1994; 1:P122-4.
53. Arbeille P. Gaffney FA. Beck L. Coulon J. Porcher M. Blomqvist CG. Investigator: Blomqvist CG. Effect of microgravity on renal and femoral flows during LBNP & intravenous saline load. Journal of Gravitational Physiology, 3(2):91-2, 1996 Sep
54. Levine BD, Lane LD, Watenpaugh DE, Gaffney FA, Buckey JC, Blomqvist CG. Maximal exercise performance after adaptation to microgravity. J Appl Physiol 81(2):686-694, 1996
55. Buckey JC, Lane LD, Levine BD, Watenpaugh DE, Wright SL, Moore WE, Gaffney FA. Orthostatic intolerance after spaceflight. J Appl Physiol 81(1):7-18, 1996.
56. Buckey JC, Gaffney FA, Lane LD, Levine BD, Watenpaugh ED, Wright SJ, Yancy CW, Meyer D, Blomqvist CG. Central venous pressure in space. J Appl Physiol 81(1):19-25, 1996.
57. Roose SP, Laghrissi-Thode F, Kennedy JS, Nelson JC, Bigger, Jr. JT, Pollock BG, Gaffney FA, Narayan M, Finkel MS, McCafferty J, Gergel I. A comparison of paroxetine to nortriptyline in depressed patients with ischemic heart disease. JAMA 279(4):287-91, 1998.
58. Koenig SC, Convertino VA, Fanton JW, Reister CA, Gaffney FA, Ludwig DA, Latham RD. Evidence for increased cardiac compliance during exposure to simulated microgravity. Am J Physiol 44:R1343-R1352, 1998.
59. Watenpaugh DE, Gaffney FA. Measurement of net whole-body transcapillary fluid transport and effective vascular compliance in humans. J of Trauma: Injury, Infection, & Critical Care 45:1062-1068, 1998.
60. Purvis GM, Weiss SG, Gaffney FA. Prehospital ECG monitoring of chest pain patients. Am J Emergency Med 17:604-607, 1999.
61. Convertino VA, Koenig SC, Fanton JW, Reister CA, Gaffney FA, Ludwig DA, Ewert DL, Wade CH. Alterations in the volume stimulus-renal response relationship during exposure to simulated microgravity. J Gravitational Physiol 6(2):1-10, 1999.
62. Senbonmatsu T, Ichihara S, Price E, Jr., Gaffney A, Inagami T. Evidence for angiotensin II type 2 receptor-mediated cardiac myocyte enlargement during in vivo pressure overload. J Clinical Investigation 10:R25-R29, 2000
63. Watenpaugh DE. Buckey JC. Lane LD. Gaffney FA. Levine BD. Moore WE. Wright SJ. Blomqvist CG. Effects of spaceflight on human calf hemodynamics. Journal of Applied Physiology. 90(4): 1552-8, 2001
64. Ichihara S, Senbonmatsu T, Price E Jr, Ichiki T, Gaffney FA, Inagami T. Angiotensin II Type 2 receptor is essential for left ventricular hypertrophy and cardiac fibrosis in chronic angiotensin II-induced hypertension, Circulation 2001; 104:346-351
65. Ertl AC. Diedrich A. Biaggioni I. Levine BD. Robertson RM. Cox JF. Zuckerman JH. Pawelczyk JA. Ray CA. Buckey JC Jr. Lane LD. Shiavi R. Gaffney FA. Costa F. Holt C. Blomqvist CG. Eckberg DL. Baisch FJ. Robertson D. Investigator: Biaggioni I. Levine BD. Ray CA. Blomqvist CG. Eckberg DL. Robertson D. Human muscle sympathetic nerve activity and plasma noradrenaline kinetics in space. Journal of Physiology. 538(Pt 1):321-9, 2002 Jan 1..
66. Ichihara S, Senbonmatsu T, Price Jr. E, Ichiki T, Gaffney FA, Inagami T. The targeted deletion of angiotensin II Type 2 receptor caused cardiac rupture after acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 106(17):2244-9, 2002
67. Pukk K, Lundberg J, Penaloza-Pesantes RV, Brommels M, Gaffney, FA. Do women simply complain more? National patient injury claims data show gender differences. Quality Management and Health Care, 12:225-231, 2003
68. Pukk K, Lundberg J, Gaffney FA, Penaloza-Pesantes RV, Olsson J. Do health care managers know the comparative quality of their care?. Quality Management and Health Care, 12:232-9, 2003)
69. Senbonmatsu T, Saito S, Landon EJ, Price Jr. E, Ichiki T, Imboden H, Gaffney FA, Inagami T. A novel intranuclear signaling mechanism of angiotensin II type 2 receptor (AT2) in association with promyelocytic leukemia Zn2+ finger protein (PLZF): activation of the p85-phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase regulatory subunit. EMBO Journal, 22:6471-82, 2003
70. Grogan EL, Stiles RA, France DJ, Speroff T, Morris JA, Nixon B, Gaffney FA, Seddon MR, Pinson CW. The Impact of Aviation Based Teamwork Training on the Attitudes of Health Care Professionals. J Am Coll Surgeon, 199:843-848, 2004.
71. Hatcher I, Sullivan M, Hutchinson J, Thurman S, Gaffney A. An Intravenous Medication Safety System: Preventing High-Risk Medication Errors at the Point of Care. Journal of Nursing Administration, 34 (10):437-439, 2004.
72. Thurman S. Sullivan M. Williams MA. Gaffney A. Intravenous medication safety systems help prevent harm and career-ending mistakes. Extensive nursing input helps design easy-to-use system that intercepts critical errors. Nursing Management 34 Suppl:2-4, 2004 Dec
73. France DJ, Stiles R, Gaffney FA, Seddon MR, Grogan EL, Nixon, Jr WR, Speroff T. Crew resource management training—Clinicians’ reactions and attitudes. AORN Journal 214-223, 2005.
74. Osswald SS, Gaffney FA, Kruyer WB, Pickard JS, Jackson WG. Military aviators with mitral valve prolapse: long-term follow-up and aeromedical endpoints. Aviat Space Environ Med 2007; 78:845-851)
75. Pukk-Härenstam K, Ask J, Brommels M, Thor J, Penaloza RV, Gaffney FA. Analysis of 23,364 patient-generated, physician reviewed malpractice claims from a non-tort, blame-free, national patient insurance system: Lessons learned from Sweden. Quality Safety Health Care 2008; 17:259-263.
76. Gaffney FA, Ahlberg J. Never Events – Aldrighändelser – Utebliven ersättning för undvikbara vårdskador [Never Events: Non-payment For Avoidable Medical Care Injuries] Läkartidning 2009. In press
77. Ahmady S, Changiz T, Gaffney FA, Yousefy A, Brommels M, and Masiello I. The status of faculty development programmes in Iran after the medical education reform: a comprehensive, systematic approach. International J Academic Development 2009, 14:99-110.
78. Ahmady S, Changiz T, Brommels M, Gaffney FA, Thor J, and Masiello I. Contextual adaptation of the Personnel Evaluation Standards for assessing faculty evaluation systems in developing countries: the case of Iran. BMC Medical Education 2009, 9:18 (28 Apr 2009
Invited Papers, Monographs, Editorials, and Books
1.Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Mitral valve prolapse syndrome: Autonomic dysfunction. Primary Cardiology 7:132-145, 1981.
2. Cassidy SS, Gaffney FA, Johnson RL Jr: A perspective on PEEP. New Eng J Med (editorial) 304:421-422, 1981.
3. Gaffney FA, Thal ER, Taylor WF, Bastian BC, Weigelt JA, Atkins JM, Blomqvist CG: Hemodynamic effects of lower body positive pressure. IN: Human Cardiovascular Adaptation to Zero Gravity. European Space Agency Special Publication SP-1033, January 1981.
4. Gaffney FA, Raven PB, Saito M, Schutte J, Blomqvist CG: The effect of lower body negative pressure (LBNP) as modified by body surface cooling. IN: Human Cardiovascular Adaptation to Zero Gravity. European Space Agency Special Publication SP-1033, January 1981.
5. Gaffney FA, Fenton BJ: Barney B. Clark, DDS. A view from the Medical Service. Arch Gen Psychiatry 41:917-918, 1984.
6. Buckey JC, Watenpaugh DE, Kim LT, Smith ML, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Initial experience with a new plethysmograph for zero-g use. The Physiologist 28:S-145-S-146, 1985.
7. Gaffney FA: Spacelab life sciences experiments: An integrated approach to the study of cardiovascular deconditioning and orthostatic hypotension. Presented at the International Astronautical Federation, Stockholm, Sweden, 1985. Acta Astronautica 15:291-294, 1987.
8. Gaffney FA: Mitral valve prolapse. IN: Conn’s Current Therapy. (Ed.) RE Rakel. Philadelphia: WB Saunders Co. 1988, pp. 212-214.
9. Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Mitral valve prolapse and autonomic nervous system dysfunction: A pathophysiological link. IN: Mitral Valve Prolapse and the Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome. (Eds.) H Boudoulas, CF Wooley. Mount Kisco, NY: Futura Publishing Co. 1988, Chapter 22, pp. 427-443.
10. Gaffney FA: Cardiovascular responses to microgravity: Adaptation, maladjustment, and countermeasures. American Astronautical Society, Science and Technology Series. AAS 87-157, 72:37-43, 1989.
11. Nicogossian AE, Garshnek V, Gaffney FA: The effects of space flight on the cardiopulmonary system. American Astronautical Society, Science and Technology Series. AAS 87-164, 72:111-120, 1989.
12. Winslow EH, Lane LD, Gaffney FA: Oxygen consumption and cardiovascular response in patients and normal adults during in-bed and out-of-bed toileting. IN: Key Aspects of Recovery. Improving Nutrition, Rest, and Mobility. Part IV. Adult Rest and Mobility, Chapter 25. (Eds.) SG Funk, EM Tornquist, MT Champagne, LA Copp, RA Wiese, Springer Publishing Company, New York, 1990, pp 238-259.
13. Baisch F, Beck L, Maass H, Heer M, Plath G, Blomqvist G, Gaffney FA, Buckey J, Hillebrecht A, Schulz H, Meyer M, Kropp J, Ten Harkel DJ, Karemaker J, Patat F, Arbeille PH: Effects of a 10-day period of 6° head down tilt (HDT). The Physiologist 33(1, Suppl):S-163-S-164, 1990.
14. Buckey JC, Lane LD, Plath G, Gaffney FA, Baisch F, Blomqvist CG: Effects of head down tilt for 10 days on the compliance of the lower limb. The Physiologist 33(1, Suppl):S-167-S-168, 1990.
15. Gaffney FA, Buckey JC, Lane LD, Hillebrecht A, Schulz H, Meyer M, Baisch F, Beck L, Heer M, Maass H, Arbeille PH, Patat F, Blomqvist CG: The effects of a 10-day period of head-down tilt on the cardiovascular responses to intravenous saline loading. The Physiologist 33(1, Suppl):S-171-S-172, 1990.
16. Beck L, Blomqvist G, Arbeille PH, Baisch F, Buckey J, Gaffney A, Hillebrecht A, Karemaker J, Patat F, Schulz H, Ten Harkel DJ: Effect of a 10-day HDT on the hemodynamic response to LBNP. The Physiologist 33(1, Suppl):S-173-S-174, 1990.
17. Buckey JC, Lane LD, Watenpaugh DE, Levine BD, Moore WE, Gaffney FA, Blomqvist CG: Cardiovascular adaptation to zero-G (Experiment 294): Instrumentation for invasive and non-invasive studies. SAE Technical Paper 911563, 1991.
18. Robertson D, Gaffney FA, Biaggioni I: Orthostatic hypotension in earthlings and
space travelers. Western Med J 157:679, 1992.
19. Vernalis MN, Latham RD, Fanton JW, Gaffney. Transesophageal echocardiographic evaluation of baboons during microgravity induced by parabolic flight. Physiologist. 1993; 36:S16-17.
20. Blomqvist, CG, Lane LD, Wright SJ, Meny GM, Levine BD, Buckey JC, Gaffney FA, Watenpaugh DE, Arbeille P, Baisch F. Cardiovascular regulation at microgravity. Anthrorack on the Spacelab D2 Mission; Michael Perry, Editor, 1997, pg 50-53
21. A Strategy for Research in Space Biology and Medicine in the New Century. Committee on Space Biology and Medicine, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences Press, Washington DC, 1998. 276pp.
22. Gaffney FA. Cardiac Responses to Environmental Stress: High Altitude, In Cardiology, Crawford MH and Dimarco JP, eds, Mosby International Ltd. London, 2001. Section 8:16, pp.1-5.
23. Glassman AH. O’Connor CM. Califf RM. Swedberg K. Schwartz P. Bigger JT Jr. Krishnan KR. van Zyl LT. Swenson JR. Finkel MS. Landau C. Shapiro PA. Pepine CJ. Mardekian J. Harrison WM. Barton D. Mclvor M. Sertraline Antidepressant Heart Attack Randomized Trial (SADHEART) Group. JAMA. 2002. 288(6):701-9.
24. Gaffney FA, Bagian JP. Medical Aspects of Harsh Environments: Military Spaceflight. In Textbooks of Military Medicine, Vol. II, Chapt. 34, pp 1039-1057, 2002
25. Neilson EG, Johnson, KB, Rosenbloom, ST, Dupont WD, Talbert D, Giuse DA, Kaiser A, and Miller RA. for the Resource Utilization Committee. The Impact of Peer Management on Test-Ordering Behavior. Ann Intern Med. 2004;141:196-204.
26. Gaffney FA, Seddon MR, Harden SW. Crew Resource Management: The Flight Plan for Lasting Change in Patient Safety. HCPro Publishing, Marblehead MA, 2005. 123pp.
27. Gaffney, FA. Transparency is the Best Route to Good Care. Invited editorial, p10A, Tennessean, Nashville TN; 13 Nov, 2007.