LifeWings Patient Safety Newsletter
Every free tip is packed with practical, proven advice on how to successfully implement and sustain a successful patient safety improvement program.
Useful, easy-to-follow tips on these topics are included:
- Leadership actions
- Organizational structure changes
- Training tips
- Teamwork skills
- Data collection and analysis
- Hardwired safety tools like checklists, communication scripts, standardized work, protocols, and briefing guides
Patient Safety Newsletter Archive
- 01/2016 An Amazingly Simple Checklist to Ensure Your Project’s Success
- 12/2015 At Some Point Your Safety Tool Will Fail
- 06/2015 Bad Meetings = Bad Results: Six Secrets to Great Meetings That Drive Results
- 05/2015 Will Your Project Work? Free Readiness Assessment Tool Included.
- 04/2015 Three Little-known Ways to Get Physician Involvement in Your Safety Initiatives
- 03/2015 How to Avoid a $125,000 Patient Safety Mistake
- 02/2015 The Surprising Truth About Health Care Checklists
- 01/2015 Three Patient Safety Statistics You Need to Know To Avoid Utter Burnout in 2015
- 12/2014 The Quality Improvement Tactic that Once Worked for You Won’t Work in 2015
- 11/2014 Ebola! Five Timeless Lessons We Can Learn from All the Mistakes
- 09/2014 Research Reveals the Shockingly Simple Way to Get Your Staff to Speak Up.
- 06/2014 Patients Are Still Dying: Lessons Learned from the Veteran’s Affairs Hospital Scandal
- 05/2014 8 Tips For Getting Your Staff to Speak Up That You Can’t Ignore
- 04/2014 New Study Says Checklists Don’t Work…4 Ways to Avoid Utter Failure of Yours
- 03/2014 Oops! Five Measurement Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- 02/2014 Five Things Smart Leaders Can Learn About Patient Safety from the Super Bowl
- 01/2014 The Most Important Thing You Must Do for Patient Safety in 2014
- 10/2013 Four Ridiculously Simple Steps to Ensure Sustainable Improvements
- 09/2013 Two Free Patient Safety Resources Every Hospital Must Have
- 08/2013 4 Lessons Healthcare Can Learn from the Crash in San Francisco
- 07/2013 Why Every Patient Safety Program Needs a WIG*
- 05/2013 The Two Biggest Barriers to Patient Safety Today
- 04/2013 Do These Seven Simple Steps to Reduce Readmissions
- 02/2013 How I Put My Own Life at Risk Because I Thought I Was Too Smart To Use a Checklist
- 01/2013 They Laughed When I Said Patient Safety Meetings Should Take No More Than 50 Minutes…But Then I Shared the 7 Critical Tips
- 12/12 Do You Make These Five Embarrassing Mistakes With Your Checklist?
- 11/12 These Three Tips to Improve Your Checklist are Almost Too Easy
- 10/12 The Magic Word that Will Get You Compliance with Processes
- 9/12 The Real Secret to Getting Physician Buy-in for Your Safety Initiative
- 8/12 Five Magic Phrases to Get More Executive Support for Your Patient Safety Program
- 7/12 The Secret Reason You Must Turn Off Your Cell Phone on an Airliner….
- 6/12 Five Critical Questions Everyone Asks About Debriefing
- 5/12 The Three Questions TOPGUN Pilots Ask Every Day: Follow Their Example to Energize Your Safety and Quality Initiative
- 4/12: Harness the Power of Rewards and Make Your Process and Everyday Habit
- 3/12 Why Your Staff Doesn’t Take You Seriously About Speaking Up for Patients Safety
- 02/12 50% of Your Staff Won’t Speak Up for Patient Safety: Six Things You Must Do About This
- 01/12 Five Secrets to Getting the Compliance You Need to be Successful in Your Initiative
- 11/11 Facts Tell, Stories Sell
- 10/11 How a $5 Sign Can Reduce Medication Errors
- 8/11 25% of Your Nurses Will Quit This Year: The Four Things You Can Do About It
- 7/11 7 1/2 Tips to Turbocharge Your Checklists
- 6/11 If I Could Wave a Magic Wand, The One Skill I Would Give Every Clinician
- 5/11 Why Only 8% of Your Staff Can Ruin Your Initiative
- 4/11 Two Simple Steps to Fix Willful Non-compliance
- 3/11 Why People Don’t Do What You Want Them To Do
- 2/11 Telling is Not Training.
- 1/11 Make Sounds Come Out of Their Mouths,
Improve your skills to get people to do what you need them to do. Read Now!
- 12/10 The Gifts of Your Work with Patient Safety Read Now!
- 11/10 Three Tips to Expertly Handle Bomb-Throwers, Obstructionists, Whiners, and other Resisters Threatening to Scuttle Your Patient Safety Initiative Read Now!
- 10/10 Why the Universal Protocol Hasn’t Eradicated Patient Harm
…And the Three Things You Must Do About It. Read Now!
- 8/10 Impress Your Boss, Protect 10% of Your Hospital’s Revenue. Read Now!
- 6/10 Three Things You Must Do Before You Start Your Change Initiative. Read Now!
- 5/10 Is Change Really Possible? Read Now!
- 4/10 A Just Response, Read Now!
- 3/10 A Debriefing “Ah-Ha” Moment, Read Now!
“I really like Steve’s patient safety newsletter because his approach is more broad – more applicable to any safety initiative. The newsletter offers practical solutions without a hard sell to get me to buy something. This is a different approach from other newsletters I receive where every link in the issue leads to a book or conference or something that will cost additional dollars. Although Steve makes it clear that the tips and tactics in his newsletter come from the consulting work he provides to hospitals, I think that’s what makes the newsletter so valuable – every newsletter issue gives good takeaways – advice that is useful, practical, has been proven in actual practice. “
Jennifer Kadis, MSN, RN, CPAN
Program Director, Crew Resource Management
Memorial Healthcare System